Sunday, October 12, 2008

Best Brunch Ever: Challah French Toast

With Rosh Hashanah comes round challah. Living on my own, I can't get through half a loaf on my own before it gets stale and unenjoyable, even with the help of boy. Good thing challah makes such good french toast.

Wanting to bring in the new year with a little extra sweetness, as is the tradition, and the bread being challah, I modified the batter ever so slightly from typical french toast.

All my measurements are approximate - cooking is more of a feeling thing for me than a science.

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbs honey
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 to 1/3 round challah, cut into approximately 1" slices (regular challah works just as well. raisin challah adds an extra kick, too.)

















Beat together eggs, milk, honey, vanilla and spices.

Heat a fry pan or skillet and add butter, margarine or PAM to prevent sticking.

Dip bread in egg mixture, saturating both sides. Move to pan. Fill the pan with slices without allowing them to touch.


















Brown slices on both sides. Once both sides are a deep brown, remove from heat and cover with aluminum foil or place on cookie sheet and place in oven until all the bread is done.

Plate, serve and enjoy!

We had ours with turkey bacon, chicken apple sausage and mimosas. And of course drizzled it with 100% maple syrup.


2 comments:

Kiwi said...

That looks so good. WAH! I want some! And I love challah. I don't think I can find any easily here either. :(

I may try that recipe with another sweet bread though. :) Happy new year!

Alli XT said...

Every time I see challah bread, all I can think of is my really fun friend from grad school, Caitlyn. Whenever we'd pass a jewish bakery or the day old bread aisle at the Coop (for some reason there was always tons of challah), she'd put her hand in the air and yell:

"HOLLAAA!!"

Your post made me smile b/c of that.