Sunday, August 23, 2009

Whip It Up: Week 8: Make your own take out


Here we are in the final week of Whip It Up. The theme calls for take away made at home. Originally I was thinking to finally tackle making my own pizza, dough and all. But that requires things like time and planning. Neither of which have been a real strong suite of late.

Plus, it's been hot as hell. This means any energy I might have had has been sucked out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I wouldn't want summer to think I'm already tired of it and up and disappear. It's just that heat and humidity do little to make one crave time in the kitchen.

I found the perfect recipe when over the weekend I was flipping through last month's Bon Appetit that was sitting on the coffee table. They had an entire collection of recipes to create a week of no cook meals. I found myself immediately craving the Chinese Egg Noodles with Smoked Duck and Snow Peas. As the week went on and it became obvious that pizza just wasn't going to happen, I knew what my take out would be.

Chinese Egg Noodles with Smoked Turkey and Snow Peas
Adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine

Dressing
2 tbs low sodium soy sauce
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs hoisin sauce
1 tbs rice vinegar

Noodles
3 1/2 oz snow peas, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 7 oz packages fresh egg linguine
2 lbs smoked turkey wings, cut into matchstick size pieces
(next time, I'm using drum sticks, way less bones to navigate around)
1 -2 tbs fresh cilantro
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced

Whisk together all ingredients in the dressing. Let stand at room temperature while preparing the rest of the dish.

Bring water enough for pasta and some extra to boil in a large pot. Place snow peas and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour some of the boiling water over the snow peas and pepper. Let stand for 30 seconds, drain well, rinse and drain again. While water is still boiling, add pasta and cook according to package directions , about 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.

Combine all remaining ingredients, pasta, snow peas, peppers and sauce in a bowl. Divide and serve.

So...
Was it easy?
Totally easy. The hardest part was getting the turkey off the bones. I really only have myself to blame.

Was it good?
So good! It was the perfect light, refreshing, but still filling meal that I wanted. It also made for some fantastic lunches - 6 servings all told. To make it a real meal, we ate it with sliced silken tofu, drizzled with soy sauce, chili paste and green onion.

Will you make it again?
Definitely!

1 comment:

Kiwi said...

Snow peas are soooooo good